Residents at the Awolusi Bus stop in the Alagbado area of Lagos State were thrown into a frenzy last Thursday when news surfaced that two Nigerian artistes had been found dead inside a studio in the area. The artistes have been identified as Ajibawo Lawal and Sunday Akhigbe, both were found dead around 7 am.
PUNCH reports that items found in the studio included a generator and some hard drugs from the studio, causing many to believe that they may have died from fumes or may have overdosed.
According to Mahfuz Majeed, a resident in the area, two deceased, two other artists including the studio manager were found lying unconscious. They were immediately rushed to the hospital.
“Nobody came out from the studio while a generator was left working. So, neighbors became suspicious and broke into the building through the window. Apart from the dead artistes, they met two others in terrible condition. We had to rush them to a private hospital. The police have taken over the case and we don’t know the state of the men in the hospital.”
Police reports also confirmed the incident revealing that the studio manager, identified as Muritala Azeez, was interrogated by the police after he was stabilized in the hospital.
The report said;
“We received a distress call from an anonymous caller that a crowd was seen converging on a studio at Alagbado where rumour had it that some persons died inside.
“Upon receipt of the information, police operatives went to the scene, which is Coded Music Recording Studio at Awolusi bus stop. Two artistes, Ajibawo Lawal, 37, and Sunday Akhigbe, 12, were met inside the studio dead.
“One Mr Bamidele Olajide, neighbour of the same address had earlier met Dare Obadina and Azeez in a critical condition. A search was conducted inside the studio and the generator, condoms, bread and food that the deceased vomited and substances suspected to be hard drugs, including Indian hemp were found in the studio.
Meanwhile, one Muritala Azeez, the owner of the studio, who is already in custody, admitted to having hired and kept them there and identified them as artistes who produce music for him. He further stated that he was with them physically on the previous night and later on the phone with them until 2am of September 3.”
The relatives of the two dead artists have been contacted and the case transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Panti, Yaba, for further investigation.
He said, “Two were found dead while another two were unconscious and rushed to the hospital including the manager of the studio. Preliminary investigation showed there was a generator working. Maybe the fumes of the generator caused the problem but we won’t just say that because we need medical expertise to reveal it. There is no suspect for now because even the owner of the studio was also unconscious.”